Monday, June 28, 2010

Dry and Deserted


I'm sure this is not what anyone was expecting to see for my first workshop post given the absolutely gorgeous landscapes that we had around us in Helper Utah. It was about 7 PM and Doug had us out doing some more plein air painting. What can I say, the man is a task master...ha! Anyway, it was another perfect evening and we were overlooking a golf course with mountains and rocks all around us, but I was sun burned and tired, (it had been 92F that day), and looking off into the distance just felt like it was going to be work. Tracy had a chair she wasn't using and I found this castoff Corona bottle just laying there calling to me. Well not really, I usually only hear them when they actually contain beer. Doug always made his rounds while we were painting, offering encouragement, valuable suggestions and the odd brushstroke here and there, if the person wanted it. On his first visit to me he looked at this and chuckled, and thought it not too bad, so on his endorsement with a few finishing touches at home, I give you Dry and Deserted. Now because most of this was done from life, I was easily able to mix fairly accurate colours to finish this painting using the photo I took as a reference.

oil on board 

8" x 5 1/2"

1 comment: